
I shouldn't have dissed Rick Springfield's elderly appearance on General Hospital earlier this year (I only watched it for a week or so after hearing that Robert and Holly were back), for I just saw him tonight at a free concert at the KY State Fair and he was awesome!
It was the most interactive concert experience I've ever had... Twice during the show, he jumped off the stage on Cardinal Stadium's ballpark field, ran over to stadium seating, and climbed up into the audience. That second time, he played four songs in a row, all the while being manhandled by a sweaty mob. Appropriately enough, his last song sung while surfing the crowd was "Human Touch". He was standing not ten feet in front of me whilst singing the line "I'm just so scared and isolated in the modern world." I know how he feels!
Good guitar player, so-so singer (Pete had warned me in advance), but overall excellent performer. The dude's 56 years old, but has the energy of somebody half his age. He could have phoned it in, but didn't. Also, along with a few new songs and covers, he played nearly all of his many hits, though about six of them were combined into a medley.
At last fall's Louisville Palace White Stripes concert (which had been my first in a couple of years), I noted that several people had cell phone cameras in operation. The dam has apparantly broken in regards to concert rules, because tonight I saw not only hundreds of cell phones with video cameras, but also regular cameras and camcorders... Hmm, maybe I'll go Googling to see if I can find tonight's show online already... I would not be surprised to spot myself in some of that footage.

No comments:
Post a Comment