Should I bother Bobby Taylor?
Upon wrangling a reluctant nephew, today I secured my 99th Facebook "friend". I qualify that word because a handful of the 99 are people I do not actually know, some of are more like friends-of-friends, some are former rivals, some are co-workers who probably hate me, and there are a couple of people on there who are more head-scratchers than anything else.
In any event, next comes Number 100, and for some reason I have it in my head that I want him or her to be someone special. There are a few people I've invited to be friends who have not replied yet, so at any time one of those could be Number 100, but in all likelihood it will be either someone I invite anew or someone who unexpectedly invites me.
My main desire is for it to be somebody I actually know. One person I've been seeking forever is old high school chum Freddy Brown, whose family moved away from Fairfield in 1982. His name is so common that I simply can't find him without any other leads. I would also like to add more Indianapolis folk, college friends, and at least one person from my 7th grade year in Marion, Kentucky. At some point, I'd like to add more ex girlfriends, but I'd have to get my wife onboard with that idea first, ha.
However, above all, I'd like to get back in contact with my very first friend, Bobby Taylor. He was my neighbor 40 years ago in Grayville, IL. Recently, I found out that his family still lives in that same house, and today I just discovered that he apparantly still lives there with his mom and dad.
I have his phone number and street address, but there is no sign of him via e-mail or website on the internets. Should I call or write him, or let it be? After we moved away from Grayville in 1971, Bobby and I exchanged a couple of letters, and I saw him one time a few years later in Evansville, I think. Other than that, basically no communication in over 30 years.
I'm thinking I'll wait, for now. If he were the type of person who'd like to be on Facebook, you'd think I'd be able to find him on the net already in other capacities. He might not be ready for it yet... I have so many Facebook friends who had to take a few months to come around to the idea of taking the plunge.
Maybe someday Bobby will search for himself on the Internet, and the combination of "Bobby" "Taylor" and "Grayville" will lead him to see himself on this page. If so, Bobby, write to me already, will ya?

No comments:
Post a Comment