Saturday, February 14, 2009



Here’s a “Random Thing About Me”: Every morning during my shower, an involuntary action overcomes me and I start singing the theme to “Love Boat”. I don’t want to sing the theme to “Love Boat”. I don’t even necessarily like the theme to “Love Boat”, but I sing it anyway. Sometimes I sing several lines before I even realize I’m doing it again.

Who knows how long I’ve had this habit. At least five years, maybe? Once in a while I’ll mix it up and throw in parts of other songs, including “Loving You Is Easy ‘Cause You’re Beautiful”, but I don’t mean to do that, either. In any event, “Love Boat” is always among the morning’s repertoire. Perhaps subconsciously, I’m having positive thoughts about the day head of me when I do it. Who knows?

Tonight, Jack Jones, the crooner who made that song famous, is playing with the Louisville Pops downtown at the beautiful Louisville Palace. Apparently Mr. Jones had many hits throughout the 1960’s, although I don’t recognize a single one on the list, just “Love Boat”.

So even if I had the spare time, could afford it (or, heck, if it were free), and were desperate to see the beautiful Louisville Palace again, would I go to this show, just to see Mr. Jones sing the theme from “Love Boat”?

No, I would not. Not even I am that crazy. Though you’ve got to admit, it would be a really surreal experience. And it might have cured me from singing that darn song every morning…

No comments: